Jordberga KonsteXpo. Jordberga Kulturhus, Sweden. 21 april - 1 maj 2011
CONCEPT 2 (realised)
"TRANSLUCENT" by Sturm & Lie
The philosophy behind this piece is to measure the temperature of, and shed light on, invisible matter.
So, our concept is that we represent the invisible light / darkness in Jordberga konstexpo April-May 2011. The visitors can not see / feel / hear / touch us. We are the light inside you and around you. There is no monolithic art object displayed by us. Not even for example a spotlight, projected light, beamer light, cigarette light, candle light, sun/moonlight or darkness in the shadows. Our names, Jadran Sturm & Åsa Lie, are not even on the vernissage card.
But we are always present in the exhibition, like radioactivity and reactivity.
We have chosen to take on the role of phantoms, which we have been assigned.
Information to the curator of Jordberga konstexpo April/May 2011, Alexandra Kostrubala:
1. This text should not be displayed on the floor or on the wall in the expo.
2. It can only be used in a press release or as oral information (e.g. can be read to visitors).
3. We made similar exhibitions in 1990 in Greece and Copenhagen, and in 1991 in Greenland.
"Politics, the sun and noise". Overgaden Art Center, Copenhagen, Denmark. 1990
"Researching the visibility of the invisible matter". Liberty Park Art Center, Athens, Greece.1990
"61 days proceeding, sociological performance" in Qaqortoq, Greenland. Nordic artists exchange programme. 1991
4. The phantom of the opera - Le Fantôme de l'Opéra - was written by the French writer Gaston Lerou. Boken sägs vara baserad på den svenska operasångerskan Kristina Nilsson Grevinna de Casa Miranda, från Växjö, Sverige.
5. About Matter: Fully 70% of the matter density in the universe appears to be in the form of dark energy. Twenty-six percent is dark matter. Only 4% is ordinary matter. So less than 1 part in 20 is made out of matter we have observed experimentally or described in the standard model of particle physics. Of the other 96%, apart from the properties just mentioned, we know absolutely nothing. - Lee Smolin: The Trouble with Physics, p. 16
CONCEPT 1 (not realised)
"IT’S ABOUT COMMUNICATION BETWEEN PEOPLE. THE REST IS TECHNOLOGY. II" by Sturm & Lie
What we need for the installation at Jordberga konsteXpo 2011, Jordberga Kulturhus.
1. 2 laptops (or other computers if laptops are not available)
2. Internet connection on both laptops/computers with browsers
3. Webcam and Skype on 1 of the laptops/computers
4. 1 table
5. 2 chairs
LAPTOP 1 will continously show our website and be available for browsing through it.
LAPTOP 2 will continously be connected to Skype and have a webcam / camera so that we can see those who sit at the table or pass by. The exhibition visitors will see us on the Skype screen and we will see them on ours.
We will "work from home" - our base in Brussels - and be available online (skype). Visible and 'hearable', communicating and performing.
Attracting attention to the installation by commenting on passers by and asking them to look at, listen & talk to us via Skype (laptop 2), and inspire them to look at & interact with us & our art via our website on the other screen (laptop 1). We will invite them to ask questions, discuss, criticise us... Or - if they like - give visitors a guided tour through the Sturm & Lie website. Consulting on our art and having coincidential & improvised talks with whoever is interested.
We will also do realtime performances in front of our webcam every day of the expo.